- RU Unlimited Master Mariner License who commanded vessels over 5,000 GRT on ocean voyages.
- RP Senior or First Class Pilot with minimum of one year experience on vessels 20,000 GRT or more.
- S Unlimited Master’s license but who has not commanded a vessel or vessels of over 5000 GRT on voyages.
- SP Second or Third Class Pilot on vessels less than 20,000 GRT.
- S16 USCG 1600 ton Master’s license who has commanded a vessel or vessels on voyages.
- S5 USCG 500 ton Master’s license who has commanded a vessel or vessels on voyages.
- A U.S. water transportation company in an executive, administrative or operational capacity, Military Equivalent of Master Mariner, Notable person in maritime related fields.
- AL Licensed Deck Officer with USCG license/credential, Any Gross Tons and currently sailing on vessels over 5,000 GT.
- AC Cadet: Any Cadet/Midshipman attending one of the state maritime academies or the US Merchant Marine Academy.
- AF Foreign Master Mariner: A person holding a foreign Master Mariners unlimited license who has commanded vessels over 5,000 GT.
Any member in good standing may apply for Life membership under the following conditions: retired from the maritime industry, over 70 years of age, and has paid total dues equal to or exceeding the amount required since joining the Council. Lifetime members shall retain rights and privileges of the membership class. Lifetime members are dues exempt. All lifetime memberships are subject to the Board of Governor’s approval.